Earlier this year Ironman Group added UTMB (Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc), the prestigious (and popular) series of trail ultramarathons, to its ever-expanding list of endurance assets. One of the first things the new relationship with Ironman generated within the series was the development of the UTMB World Series, set to start in 2022, which would qualify athletes for the main event in Mont-Blanc. Athletes have to collect “Running Stones” at the UTMB World Series events to be able to compete at UTMB Mont-Blanc.
Today Ironman announced that the 2022 circuit would be “bolstered” with new events in North American and Europe. The new races in the US include the Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB in California and the Speedgoat Mountain Races by UTMB in Utah.
Today’s release also confirmed the first two “World Series Majors,” which will take place in Val d’Aran, Spain and in Hong Kong (TransLantau by UTMB). A US Major will be announced soon and will take place early in 2023. The Major events offer “double the amount of Running Stones compared to other UTMB World Series Events, increasing their chance of being selected through the UTMB Mont-Blanc 2023 registration lottery.”
“The UTMB World Series Majors offer additional qualification chances for the UTMB World Series Finals with the top 10 male and top 10 female runners in each of the 50K, 100K and 100M categories automatically winning their place at the 2023 Finals start line,” Ironman stated in today’s release. “Regular runners will also collect double the amount of Running Stones compared to other UTMB World Series Events, increasing their chance of being selected through the UTMB Mont-Blanc 2023 registration lottery.”
The Canyons Endurance Runs take place on April 23, 2022 in Auburn, California along the Western States Trail. The Canyons Endurance Runs will feature three distances: 100 km, 50 km and 25 km. Registration information can be found here.
Held on the slopes of Snowbird resort in Utah, in July, the Speedgoat Mountain Races include 13 km, 28 km and a 50 km event that includes almost 12,000 feet of climbing (most of it done about 9,000 feet). Information and registration information can be found here.
There are now 24 events in 16 countries confirmed for the first UTMB World Series:
- Tarawera Ultramarathon by UTMB (New Zealand), 12 February
- Istria 100 by UTMB (Croatia), 7-10 April
- Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB, (USA) 23 April
- Ultra-Trail Australia by UTMB (Australia), 12-15 May
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB (France), 11 June
- mozart 100 by UTMB (Austria), 18 June
- La Sportiva Lavaredo Ultra Trail by UTMB® (Italy), 23-26 June
- Trail 100 Andorra by UTMB (Andorra), 24-26 June
- Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run (USA), 25-26 June
- Speedgoat Mountain Races by UTMB (USA), July
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB, (Wales), 1-3 July
- Restonica Trail by UTMB (France) 7-9 July
- Val d’Aran by UTMB (Spain), 7-10 July
- Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard by UTMB, (Switzerland), 8-10 July
- Eiger Ultra Trail by UTMB, (Switzerland), 15-17 July
- Wildstrubel by UTMB, (Switzerland), 8-11 September
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB, (Slovenia), 16-18 September
- Nice Côte d’Azur by UTMB (France), 22-25 September
- Puerto Vallarta México by UTMB (Mexico), October
- Thailand by UTMB (Thailand), 10-13 November
- TransLantau by UTMB (Hong Kong), 3-6 November
- Panda Trail by UTMB (China), dates TBC
- Gaoligong by UTMB (China), dates TBC
- UTMB World Series Finals; UTMB Mont-Blanc (France, Italy, Switzerland), 22-28 August