— by Kim Doerksen
Many people are guilty of having a sweet tooth. From chocoholics to pastry fiends, we all have a guilty pleasure. These cravings seem to be accentuated during the peaks of training. The body is battling the daily grind and burning copious amounts of calories. It’s hardly surprising that dreams of treats become more frequent. We attempt to avoid such indulgences while trying to keep the body running like a well-oiled machine. However, sometimes the need for a tasty morsel becomes too much, and we’re left debating about what to do.
Related: RECIPE: Vegan jam-filled cookies
If you’re eating cleanly, and making good everyday food choices, having a treat every once in a while won’t ruin your fitness.
Graham cracker crust
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- 8 oz. packages low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- To make the graham cracker crust, stir graham cracker crumbs and oil/ butter together until combined. Add two loosely packed tablespoons of crust to the bottom of each jar or serving dish, and use your fingers or a spoon to pack it down firmly.
- For the cheesecake, add all ingredients to a food processor, and pulse to combine, scraping the edges of the bowl once or twice to be sure that all ingredients are blended.
- Spoon about M cup of the mixture into each jar or serving dish on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate for 2–3 hours until set.
- Serve topped with berries, nuts, other desired toppings or enjoy as is.