Windy conditions at Hanlan’s Point Beach led to the cancellation of the swim this morning at the Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon. With the event changed into a 5 km run, 20 km bike, and 2.5 km run Duathlon, Guelph’s Jackson Laundry and Toronto’s Miranda Tomenson took full advantage.
Laundry put forth another dominant performance to extend his winning streak to eight overall race victories in a row at the Recharge With Milk Triathlon Series presented by Skechers Performance. Laundry hammered out top splits in all categories (17:25 run, 28:52 bike, and 9:45 run) to stop the clock at 57:22. Frankford’s Adam Doxtator took second in 59:01, and Lucan’s Matt Straatman third (1:00:12).
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon turned Duathlon 2016 (5km run, 20km bike, 2.5 km run) – Top 5 Men
- Jackson Laundry (Guelph, ON) 57:22
- Adam Doxtator (Frankford) 59:01
- Matt Straatman (Lucan) 1:00:12
- Bryan Rusche (Toronto) 1:01:57
- John Pulford (Elmira) 1:04:02
In the women’s race, the first 5km featured a battle between Tomenson, Ottawa’s Leah Sherriff, and Mississauga’s Nina Seh where all finished within seconds of each other by the end of the run. Once on the bike, Tomenson opened up a 67 second gap on Sherriff, and ran the fastest final 2.5 km leg to secure her third win on Toronto Island (1:06:12) – taking wins in 2015 and 2013. Sherriff, who returned to racing today after fracturing her coccyx when hit by a car one month ago, finished second (1:07:10), and Sieh took third in 1:09:40.
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon turned Duathlon 2016 (5km run, 20km bike, 2.5 km run) – Top 5 Women
- Miranda Tomenson (Toronto) 1:06:12
- Leah Sherriff (Ottawa) 1:07:10
- Nina Sieh (Mississauga) 1:09:40
- Emma Plater (Guelph) 1:12:30
- Katherine Force (King City) 1:13:49
Athletes in the original Sprint Duathlon category had a separate race.
Toronto’s Scott Johnson ran 17:01 to lead the first run, but surrendered the lead during to bike to Toronto’s Peter Schindler. With a mere 5 seconds separating the two, Johnson executed a speedy T2, and headed out on the second run with the lead that he kept for good. Johnson grabbed the overall win in 1:01:39, followed by Schindler (1:03:24), and Vincent Palhol (1:04:19).
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon 2016 (5km run, 20km bike, 2.5 km run) – Top 5 Men
- Scott Johnson (Toronto) 1:01:39
- Peter Schindler (Toronto) 1:03:24
- Vincent Palhol (Toronto) 1:04:19
- Darren Cooney (Toronto) 1:05:58
- Josh Good (Oshawa) 1:08:30
Toronto’s Rachel Simpson opened with the top run of 20:29, to lead all women into transition with the next closest woman being 1:35 behind. Simpson continued to stay in front to earn the overall women’s race win in 1:11:24. Richmond Hill’s Karri Beck finished second (1:15:14), and Toronto’s Garima Takyar third (1:17:07)
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon 2016 (5km run, 20km bike, 2.5 km run) – Top 5 Women
- Rachel Simpson (Toronto) 1:11:24
- Karri Beck (Richmond Hill) 1:15:14
- Garima Takyar (Toronto) 1:17:07
- Ivey Chiu Forrest (Toronto) 1:18:56
- Tory Jones (Kitchener) 1:19:20