Today for Ontarians is the Provincial election. As they head to the polls, here are some politicians around North America that we can follow their lead, as they balance work and family life, with healthy active living.
- Kyrsten Sinema: US Congresswoman and Ironman Kona Finisher. Krysten finished the 2015 Ironman World Championships in Kona, in a time of 15:02. In 2013 she completed her first Ironman, becoming the first sitting member of Congress to complete an Ironman in their district (Arizona).
- Jacob Frey: Mayor of Minneapolis and a 2:16:44 marathon time. On January 2nd, 2018, Jacob was sworn in as the Mayor of Minneapolis. Eleven years ago, in 2007, Jacob finished fourth at the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro and went on to win the 2008 Austin Marathon. He also ran professionally for Saucony and represented the USA numerous times on the international stage.
- Justin Trudeau: Prime Minister of Canada and runner. Justin has taken part in numerous runs around the Ottawa area, including the Canada Army run, where he posted his 5k PB, a 22:37 in 2017.
- Kathleen Wynne: Ontario Liberal Leader and runner. Kathleen, just recently in May ran the Sporting Like 10k down Younge Street. She also recently ran the Toronto Women’s 5k, while also winning her age group.
- Peter Fonseca: Liberal MP for the Mississauga East – Cooksville riding and an Olympian. Peter was a long distance runner back in the day, competing for Canada at multiple international competitions. Including the Commonwealth Games in 1994 (10,000m) and the 1996 Olympic Games (Marathon). Following his athletic success, Peter continues to run in local races around the GTA.
- Rahm Emmanuel: Mayor of Chicago and Triathlete. Mayor of one of the biggest cities in North America, Rahm has found the time to take part in multiple triathlons around the states. While also competing annually in the Chicago Triathlon.
- Valérie Plante: Mayor of Montreal and runner. Valérie in her time as Mayor of Montreal has been vocal about being active. Not only has she voiced her encouragement, she too goes out for a run, even competing with on a relay team at last years ITU Montreal event.
- Doug Ford: Ontario PC Leader and cyclist. This past fall, Jagmeet Singh and Doug Ford went on a two-wheeled blind date down Bloor Street. For the full episode take a look at TVO’s Political Blind Date.
These are just a few of the many politicians that publicly enjoy going for a run, cycle or swim. Share and list other politicians that get out on their bike, lace up their shoes, or dive into their local pool!
— Brent Cotter (@CorneliusCotter) November 13, 2017