VanderLinden and Ogg win Rose City titles
Kitchener’s Alexander VanderLinden led from wire to wire to win the men’s title at the Rose City Half Triathlon held in Welland, Ontario. VanderLinden’s field crushing 1:18:17 half marathon in the rain, cemented the victory.
Rose City Half Tri (2km Swim – 90km Bike – 21.1km Run) – Top 5 Men
- Alexander VanderLinden (Kitchener, ON) 4:00:45
- Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 4:12:54
- Brandon Habermehl (Milton, ON) 4:17:27
- Luke Ehgoetz (New Hamburg, ON) 4:17:32
- Jim Sunners (Fort Erie, ON) 4:21:57
London’s Jennifer Ogg swam 34:52, biked 2:34:05, and ran 1:43:09 to finish in 4:56:14 to edge out Barrie’s Hannah Wilkinson to capture the women’s title. Wilkinson ran a race best 1:34:42, but 18 seconds short of surpassing Ogg.
Rose City Half Tri (2km Swim – 90km Bike – 21.1km Run) – Top 5 Women
- Jennifer Ogg (London, ON) 4:56:14
- Hannah Wilkinson (Barrie, ON) 4:56:32
- Rachel Wasserman (Albany, NY) 5:00:52
- Anne-Marie Rasmussen (Oakville, ON) 5:02:49
- Linda Kay Richards (Toronto, ON) 5:03:50
Daryl Flacks of Windsor and Tammy Purdy of Mississauga won the 90 km bike, 21.1km event, while Toronto’s Hector Rodriguez and Aurora’s Paolina Allan won the 2 km swim, 90 km bike race.
On Saturday, the triathlon races featured a time trial start.
Port Elgin’s RJ Ross used the combination of a 45:58 bike, and top run of 27:31 to win the men’s race. Toronto’s Katherine Onyett-Jeffries took the overall women’s victory thanks to the strength of a race leading 49:13 bike split.
Rose City Triathlon (750m Swim – 30km Bike – 7.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
- RJ Ross (Port Elgin, ON) 1:26:17
- David Mackie (Flamborough, ON) 1:26:56
- Cam Black (Aurora, ON) 1:27:36
- Lee Rantala (Toronto, ON) 1:28:20
- Nigel Roedde (Hamilton, ON) 1:30:13
Rose City Triathlon (750m Swim – 30km Bike – 7.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
- Katherine Onyett-Jeffries (Toronto, ON) 1:39:46
- Brittany Dunbar (Stouffville, ON) 1:40:22
- Janet Manley (Toronto, ON) 1:44:25
- Tedra Bolger (Waterdown, ON) 1:46:41
- Diane Stephen (Mississauga, ON) 1:46:47
Following up on his win last week at Woodstock, London’s Spencer Summerfield made sure to stay close to the front for most of the race and then on the final run (20:59), he made this move to secure the victory. Toronto’s Kim MacLaughlin ran the fastest first and second run to claim the women’s duathlon.
Rose City Duathlon (5km Run – 30km Bike – 5.26km Run) – Top 5 Men
- Spencer Summerfield (London, ON) 1:26:41
- Andrew McLeod (Etobicoke, ON) 1:27:33
- Jeremy Carter (St. Agatha, ON) 1:28:14
- Aaron Putman (Ashburn, ON) 1:28:29
- Harold Walker (St. Thomas, ON) 1:29:52
Rose City Duathlon (5km Run – 30km Bike – 5.26km Run) – Top 5 Women
- Kim MacLaughlin (Toronto, ON) 1:26:17
- Jade Carrington (Brampton, ON) 1:26:56
- Bethany Timmerman (Paris, ON) 1:27:36
- Garima Takyar (Toronto, ON) 1:28:20
- Kim Hanna (Bracebridge, ON) 1:30:13