Sanders and Marchant take Barrelman Triathlon titles
(photos by Roger Hospedales/Triathlon Magazine Canada)
Hamilton’s Lionel Sanders and Newmarket’s Kristen Marchant posted dominant victories today at the inaugural Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon.
After spotting the leaders (which included Richard Pady and Nigel Gray), an almost 3 minute head start after the 2 km swim (28:45), Sanders hammered out a sizzling 2:01:26 ride over the 92 km course to lead by over 7 minutes going into the two loop half marathon which featured two passes by the majestic Niagara Falls. Despite wanting to get in some Ironman pace work for his upcoming Ironman Florida event, Sanders couldn’t resist holding back and threw down a 1:11:35 run to claim the victory in 3:44:55. Toronto’s Nigel Gray took second in 4:01:19, and Orangeville’s Richard Pady finished third (4:05:00).
Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon (2 km swim, 92 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Men
- Lionel Sanders (Hamilton, ON) 3:44:55
- Nigel Gray (Toronto) 4:01:19
- Richard Pady (Orangeville) 4:05:00
- Jim Sunners (Niagara Falls) 4:28:00
- Nigel Roedde (Hamilton) 4:28:45
Making her long distance triathlon debut, Marchant stayed within 1 minute of swim leader Angela Quick (26:08), then got to the front of the race during the bike (2:27:32) and managed to stay there despite Paolina Allan’s top split of 2:25:28. From there, Marchant literally ran away with the title with one of the race’s top runs of 1:20:51 to grab the title and finish fourth overall in 4:19:08. Allan of Aurora, who won the Centurion C100 last week, claimed second (4:38:40), and St. George’s Quick held on for third (4:58:18).
Niagara Falls Barrelman Triathlon (2 km swim, 92 km bike, 21.1 km run) – Top 5 Women
- Kristen Marchant (Newmarket, ON) 4:19:08
- Paolina Allan (Aurora) 4:38:40
- Angela Quick (St. George) 4:58:18
- Sheila Treleaven (Grimsby) 5:03:35
- Tanya Philp (Milton) 5:06:11
* The Triathlon also served as the Ontario Long Course Triathlon Championship with 3 qualifying spots per age group for the 2015 ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship in Sweden.
Daryl Flacks of Windsor (4:01:37) and Lauren Allen of New Vienna, USA (4:47:05) won the Bike/Run event (92 km bike, 21.1 km run). While Toronto’s David Levy (3:10:22) and Melanie Nickou of Erie, USA (3:27:16) won the 2 km Swim, 92 km Bike race.