Guelph’s Jackson Laundry and Newmarket’s Kristen Marchant endured challenging swim conditions in Georgian Bay to emerge with victories at today’s Wasaga Beach Olympic Triathlon.
Kitchener’s Alexander VanderLinden led all competitors out of wavy Georgian Bay with a time of 21:50. This left the main contenders: Laundry and Richmond Hill’s Andrew Bolton approximately 1:14 behind at the start of their 40 km rides. Laundry and Bolton chased down VanderLinden, and with the top ride of the day (57:08), Laundry entered T2 first with Bolton just 13 seconds behind. Laundry padded his lead with the fastest run (33:35) to grab the overall win in 1:55:29. VanderLinden caught a struggling Bolton – who slipped and fell hard in transition but chose to continue racing – for second (1:57:11).
Wasaga Beach Olympic Triathlon (1.5km Swim – 40km Bike – 10km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Jackson Laundry (Guelph, ON) 1:55:29
2. Alexander VanderLinden (Kitchener, ON) 1:57:11
3. Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 2:04:28
4. Nicholas Kolodzie (Oshawa, ON) 2:09:52
5. Luke Ehgoetz (New Hamburg, ON) 2:09:59
Kitchener’s Angela Quick led all women out of the 1.5 km swim and onto the longest freshwater beach in the world with a 22:26 clocking, with Marchant 55 seconds behind. Quick managed to stay ahead for the entire bike ride thanks to the top split of 1:05:56 and took a 1:23 lead onto the final 10 km run. Unfortunately for her, she could not hold Marchant’s pace. Marchant closed with a women’s best 41:03 run to claim the win in 2:12:24. Quick took second (2:16:01), and Simcoe’s Emma Plater (2:21:48) edged out Mississauga’s Lauren Heinken (2:21:49) in a hard fought side by side sprint finish along Beach Drive.
Wasaga Beach Olympic Triathlon (1.5km Swim – 40km Bike – 10km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Kristen Marchant (Newmarket, ON) 2:12:24
2. Angela Quick (Kitchener, ON) 2:16:01
3. Emma Plater (Simcoe, ON) 2:21:48
4. Lauren Heinken (Mississauga, ON) 2:21:49
5. Kelley Tessier (Toronto, ON) 2:25:19
Sunday’s Sprint Distance Races
Toronto’s Lee Rantala used the top bike split (30:03) to get in front and managed to stay away for the win in the Sprint Triathlon. Meghan Lamers grabbed the lead early with a 11:42 swim, stayed in front with a 32:59 ride, and shared the top run split (20:42) with Karen Ugarte Bravo to take the win in 1:07:00.
Wasaga Beach Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Men
- Lee Rantala (Toronto, ON) 1:02:13
- Prakash Pandya (Lasalle, ON) 1:03:01
- Ryan McCallum (Richmond Hill, ON) 1:03:12
- Leigh Wingfield (Orangeville, ON) 1:04:19
- Mat Reid (Burlington, ON) 1:05:17
Wasaga Beach Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Women
- Meghan Lamers (London, ON) 1:07:00
- Karen Ugarte Bravo (Barrie, ON) 1:10:44
- Katherine Onyett-Jeffries (Toronto, ON) 1:11:01
- Lauren Reid (Burlington, ON) 1:11:30
- Amanda Switzer (London, ON) 1:11:47
London’s Spencer Summerfield was strong among all three segments to take the overall win in the duathlon. Cobourg’s Michele Sheehy utilized the top women’s bike split of 34:02 to separated herself from the rest of the field and take the victory in 1:11:54.
Wasaga Beach Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
- Spencer Summerfield (London, ON) 1:01:55
- Jeremy Carter (St. Agatha, ON) 1:02:28
- Ben Snider-McGrath (Port Perry, ON) 1:02:58
- Aniket Hooopa (Toronto, ON) 1:05:53
- Marcel Badertscher (Toronto, ON) 1:06:40
Wasaga Beach Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
- Michele Sheehy (Cobourg, ON) 1:11:54
- Annick Gagne (Angus, ON) 1:13:15
- Karri Beck (Richmond Hill, ON) 1:13:31
- Patty Stephens (Owen Sound, ON) 1:14:15
- Linda Crawford (Burlington, ON) 1:15:40
The weekend’s events also serves as the Triathlon Ontario Club Championships.