In the low to mid 30-degree temperatures today in Richmond, Virginia, Conrad Stoltz (RSA) and Renata Bucher (SUI) won the XTERRA East Championship.
Stoltz had the top 24 km bike split (52:11) and 10 km run (40:24) to take his fourth straight win on the XTERRA America Tour this year, and fifth win in Richmond.
“Since I finished high school in 1991 I’ve been racing professionally so I’ve had basically 18 summers back-to-back, so I’m familiar with the heat,” said Stoltz to XTERRA. “I’m not great in the heat, though, so I have to prepare for it, which mean’s pacing and never going too hard in the swim, bike or run. The whole race I had to pull back a little bit, pull back a little, and make sure I had some energy left for the run.”
Bucher toughed out a toe injury to post the best run split (44:34), to grab her fourth XTERRA win this year (she also won in Saipan, Portugal, and Waco, Texas).
“Today I had a lot of emotion because it was such a tough week,” said Bucher. “I had so much trouble with my toe (injured during a cooldown ride in Alabama- XTERRA Southeast Championship), and I wasn’t sure if I should go home, and I didn’t do much physically at all. I didn’t think I could win, but the doctor here helped me so much. I’m just very grateful for all the help and support I received.”
Victoria’s Melanie McQuaid finished third, while Guelph’s Christine Jeffrey led the swim and ended up fifth.
“Shonny (Vanlandingham) and Renata are taking turns kicking my butt, they are really fast right now,” confessed McQuaid, who is training specifically to win the XTERRA World Championship in Maui (Sunday October 24th).
1. Conrad Stoltz (RSA) 1:46:28
2. Dan Hugo (RSA) 1:47:39
3. Josiah Middaugh (USA) 1:50:40
4. Seth Wealing (USA) 1:52:16
5. Craig Evans (USA) 1:55:40
6. Brandon Rakita (USA) 1:55:49
7. Will Kelsay (USA) 1:56:20
8. Trevor Glavin (USA) 1:57:29
9. Cody Waite (USA) 1:58:33
10. Kevin Carter (USA) 1:58:55
1. Renata Bucher (SUI) 1:59:27
2. Shonny Vanlandingham (USA) 2:00:35
3. Melanie McQuaid (CAN) 2:03:42
4. Emma Garrard (USA) 2:07:28
5. Christine Jeffrey (CAN) 2:08:59
6. Fabiola Corona (MEX) 2:11:16
7. Kristy Lanier (USA) 2:18:53
Fastest 1km Swim Split: Seth Wealing (12:22), Christine Jeffrey (12:59)
Fastest 24km Bike Split: Conrad Stoltz (52:11), Shonny Vanlandingham (57:56)
Fastest 10km Run Split: Conrad Stoltz (40:24), Renata Bucher (44:34)
The last two stops on the XTERRA U.S. Pro Series are the XTERRA Mountain Championship at Beaver Creek Resort in Avon, Colorado on July 17th, then the USA Championship at Snowbasin Resort near Ogden, Utah on September 25th.
2010 XTERRA U.S. Pro Series Standings
Top 5 Pro Men
1. Conrad Stoltz (RSA) 400 pts
2. Josiah Middaugh (USA) 352
3. Craig Evans (USA) 284
4. Cody Waite (USA) 244
5. Seth Wealing (USA) 225
Top 5 Pro Women
1. Shonny Vanlandingham (USA) 380 pts
2. Melanie McQuaid (CAN) 344
3. Renata Bucher (SUI) 338
4. Emma Garrard (USA) 277
5. Christine Jeffrey (CAN) 276