Switzerland’s Nicola Spirig won her second consecutive ETU Triathlon European title today in Athlone, Ireland. She finished ahead of France’s Carole Peon by 12 seconds.
“I am extremely happy,” said Spirig, also a winner at the ITU WCS race in Madrid. “I knew it is hard enough to get the European Title, but it is even harder to defend it. I couldn’t be happier now.”
Denmark’s Line Jensen completed the 1.5 km swim in the River Shannon first (18:11); with a 29 second lead over the next closest woman, Ireland’s Aileen Morrison (18:40). Jensen was caught at the halfway point of the 40 km bike, and this lead group created a 1:18 lead over the chase group by the time they hit T2. France’s Carole Peon was first onto the run. Nicola Spirig, Sweden’s Lisa Norden, and Germany’s Anja Knapp closely followed her. Spirig and Peon battled for the lead throughout the 10 km run until the final kilometer when Spirig made her move to surge away from Peon to win in 1:57:58.
The Elite Men’s race takes place tomorrow.
Top 10 Women
1. Nicola Spirig (SUI) 1:57:58
2. Carole Peon (FRA) 1:58:10
3. Lisa Norden (SWE) 1:58:20
4. Ainhoa Murua (ESP) 1:58:35
5. Aileen Morrison (IRL) 1:58:52
6. Magali Di Marco (SUI) 1:59:00
7. Alexandra Razarenova (RUS) 1:59:03
8. Annamaria Mazzetti (ITA) 1:59:05
9. Emmie Charayron (FRA) 1:59:17
10. Hollie Avil (GBR) 1:59:36