Kelowna’s Trevor Wurtele fell just short of defending his Ironman 70.3 New Orleans title today but he battled right to the end against one of the best in the sport.
Germany’s Andreas Raelert came out of the water in the lead with American Brandon Marsh (23:34), and got to the front of the race with a 2:06:47 bike ride. Meanwhile, Wurtele, more than 2 minutes down to Raelert after swim, closed the gap with the top ride of 2:05:54. Trailing by 1:11 at the start of the run, Wurtele showed his passion for retaining his title and caught up to Raelert – one of the best runners in the sport – with 8km to go. However, he might of paid a price for that effort (a second best run of 1:12:55) and the subsequent side by side battle with Raelert. Raelert ended up outrunning Wurtele in the closing stages of the half marathon to claim the victory in 3:46:54. Wurtele followed just 5 seconds later for second, and Brazil’s Santiago Ascenco took third (3:50:38).
1. Raelert, Andreas DEU 03:46:54
2. Wurtele, Trevor CAN 03:46:59
3. Ascenco, Santiago BRA 03:50:38
4. Marsh, Brandon USA 03:51:44
5. Robins, Mitchell AUS 03:52:25
6. Jeuland, Jose FRA 03:53:15
7. Hoffman, Ben USA 03:53:32
8. Van Berkel, Tim AUS 03:53:48
9. Wade, Robert USA 03:56:09
10. Shearon, Jonathan USA 03:58:15
American Haley Chura led from start to finish to earn her victory. She had a women’s best swim of 23:50, and kept in front with a 2:26:34 ride and 1:24:38 run to cross the finish line in 4:18:20. American Amy Marsh got a flat tire but managed to maintain her second place position, finishing in 4:20:39. Making it an American sweep of the podium was Kristin Andrews (4:22:59). Canadian Annie Gervais finished ninth (4:30:06).
1. Chura, Haley USA 04:18:20
2. Marsh, Amy USA 04:20:39
3. Andrews, Kristin USA 04:22:59
4. Lawn, Joanna NZL 04:23:12
5. Schwabenbauer, Kimberly USA 04:23:42
6. Leiggi, Heather USA 04:28:12
7. Bugdol, Ewa POL 04:29:00
8. Shutt, Beth USA 04:29:16
9. Gervais, Annie CAN 04:30:06
10. Cornman, Jocelyn USA 04:31:19
Check out an excited Haley Chura below from www.nola.com