Andrew Bolton and Kristen Marchant claimed victories in similar fashion at the Huronia Triathlon.
American Brett Saunders swam 9:49 to lead all competitors out of Penetanguishene Harbour, with Bolton in close pursuit (11:05). Bolton powered to the front with a dominant 30:12 bike ride, and he added the top 5km run of 18:00 to cruise to victory in 1:00:48.
“I chased him (Brett) down on the bike, I didn’t know how fast he was. I caught him and just went steady for the rest. I saw I had a pretty good lead so I went hard on the run but not too hard,” said Bolton who will head to Magog next for the Age Group Nationals. The first part of Triathlon Ontario’s Triple Crown Challenge. “After today, I will start a two-week taper or so, and start feeling good for that one.”
Huronia Sprint Triathlon – Top 5 Men (750m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run)
1. Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 1:00:48
2. Paul White (Newmarket) 1:05:42
3. Brett Saunders (USA) 1:06:30
4. James Corcoran (Toronto) 1:08:56
5. Mark Foullony (Orangeville) 1:09:20
Coming off a stress fracture in her foot, Newmarket’s Kristen Marchant made her return to the 2014 triathlon season with an impressive victory. Second out of the water (11:10) behind American Brooke Saunders (11:04), Marchant posted the top bike (34:15) and run (19:23) to easily separate herself from the rest of the women’s field to win in 1:06:38.
“It’s always a slow swim here because the waves are a little bit more than you’d get in a closed lake. The bike was hilly but I kept in mind that I had to run so I didn’t push it too hard,” said Marchant, who plans to race in Edmonton and possibly Magog as well. “I got to the run and it was very tiring because I hadn’t yet run 5 km.”
Huronia Sprint Triathlon – Top 5 Women (750m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run)
1. Kristen Marchant (Newmarket, ON) 1:06:38
2. Jocelyn Saunders (USA) 1:13:28
3. Lauren Heinken (Mississauga) 1:13:29
4. Allison Gibb (Carlisle) 1:14:50
5. Faye Armstrong (Woodbridge) 1:16:15
Caldeon’s Matt Bedernjak won the Duathlon in 1:08:36, and Stayner’s Angela Gervase took the women’s victory in 1:20:52.
Huronia Sprint Duathlon – Top 5 Men (5km run, 20 km bike, 2.5 km run)
1. Matt Bedernjak (Caledon, ON) 1:08:36
2. Michael Gratton (Burlington) 1:09:28
3. Dave McInroy (Orangeville) 1:14:02
4. Roger Hospedales (Markham) 1:14:24
5. Steven Forrest (Carlisle) 1:17:46
Huronia Sprint Duathlon – Top 5 Women (5km run, 20 km bike, 2.5 km run)
1. Angela Gervase (Stayner) 1:20:52
2. Tabatha Welsford (Pickering) 1:26:37
3. Mardi Charlton (Wasaga Beach) 1:29:37
4. Helen Scissors (Coboconie) 1:32:46
5. Gillian Aube (Brampton) 1:36:08