Adding strength training to your regular training routine is important to prevent injury and make you a stronger athlete, says Ironman champion Belinda Granger. Here’s a set that’s easy to do at home during this time of social isolating.
Renowned for her outstanding bike splits during a professional career that included wins at Challenge Roth and Ironman Canada, Belinda Granger has always been an avid fan of strength training as part of a well-rounded triathlon program. Here’s a 15-minute program the Challenge-Family pro liaison devised to work on leg and glute strength.
It’s an easy session to do at home – all you need is a band.
You can find this workout and more like it on the Challenge-Family website’s training and recipes page.
The video below explains the exercises in the workout.
- You can do all 7 exericses 2 times;
- Round 1: Do each exercise for 45 seconds, then take 15 seconds rest before switching to the next exercise.
- Round 2: Do each exercise for 50 seconds, then take 10 seconds rest before switching to the next exercise.
- Side Steps (Band around your ankles)
- Squat Opens (band just above your knee)
- Side Step with a jump (band just above your knee)
- Glute bridge with 10 pulses (band just above your knee)
- Frog Squats (band just above your knee)
- Glute Bridge with 10 in and out pulses (band just above your knee)
- Squat Pulses for 5 then 1 squat jump (band just above your knee)