USA Triathlon creates new gravel triathlon series
USA Triathlon looks to "build off the rapidly growing trends of gravel-related races springing up around the United States."
It was only a matter of time before the popular gravel biking trend found its way to triathlon, and the American national governing body has jumped on board with a new eight-race series.
The USA Triathlon Gravel Series will be paired with the first USA Triathlon Gravel National Championships which will take place in Fayetteville, Arkansas on June 3.
“Gravel cycling is growing incredibly fast and the multisport community is positioned to take advantage of this trend by providing athletes with new and unique race formats and disciplines like gravel triathlon,” said Rocky Harris, USA Triathlon CEO. “USA Triathlon is proud to partner with local race directors across the country to create this exciting new series. As the national governing body for triathlon and multisport in the United States, we fully support gravel triathlon and other gravel multisport disciplines, and we look forward to being a part of its continued growth.”
The new series starts in May and runs through to October with races in Michigan, Texas, Colorado, Idaho and California.
The new races will be different to road triathlons that use paved roads and off-road tri events where athletes use mountain bikes on technical trails. The gravel races will be held on unpaved dirt roads and paths that aren’t technical. Athletes can use specific gravel bikes, but road or mountain bikes can be used, too.
2022 USA Triathlon Gravel Series
- May 15, 2022 – Jersey Gravel Triathlon – Hewitt, NJ
- June 18, 2022 – The Theoi – Donnelly, ID
- July 23, 2022 – Ugly Dog Gravel Tri – Chelsea, MI
- July 31, 2022 – Stagecoach Gravel Triathlon – Steamboat Springs, CO
- September 10, 2022 – The Gravel X Triathlon – Folsom, CA
- September 25, 2022 – The Dirty Mitten – Middleville, MI
- September 25, 2022 – XTERRA Laguna Beach – Laguna Beach, CA
- October 23, 2022 – Brick House Triathlon – Navasota, TX