After the pandemic-forced layoff, Switzerland’s four-time Ironman world champion (and five-time Ironman 70.3 world champ) Daniela Ryf returned to racing in style today with a convincing five-minute-plus victory over countrywoman Imogen Simmonds. Ryf was just eight-seconds out of the lead coming out of the water, then spent much of the bike ride chasing Simmonds before pulling in front with 20 km to go. Once out on the run there was no touching the race favourite – her 1:16:50 run split was more than enough to pull her clear.
“I was so happy to be able to race again. It’s been a long time, so to jump in that water and get going with the other girls was a good feeling. It felt like I’m back to doing what I’m supposed to do, in my natural surroundings,” Ryf said after the race.
The men’s race saw Denmark’s Daniel Bakkegard lead out of the water, only to find himself back in 11th place off the bike. Once on the run, though, Bakkegard blasted to the front thanks to a 1:10:01 run split that saw him finish over a minute ahead of the rest of the men. There were lots of fireworks for the final two spots on the podium, though, as Portugal’s Filipe Azevedo, Sweden’s Rasmus Svenningsson and Switzerland’s Andrea Salvisberg sprinted to the line. Just one second separated the three as Azevedo took second with Svenningsson rounding out the podium.
Top five professional men’s results:
SWIM BIKE RUN FINISH
1. Daniel Bakkegard DNK 00:23:21 01:55:45 01:10:01 03:33:02
2. Filipe Azevedo POR 00:24:13 01:54:40 01:10:58 03:34:03
3. Rasmus Svenningsson SWE 00:24:55 01:54:03 01:09:20 03:34:04
4. Andrea Salvisberg SUI 00:23:21 01:55:38 01:11:06 03:34:05
5. Antony Costes FRA 00:24:12 01:54:37 01:11:51 03:34:36
Top five professional women’s results:
SWIM BIKE RUN FINISH
1. Daniela Ryf SUI 00:26:39 02:08:36 01:16:50 03:56:54
2. Imogen Simmonds SUI 00:26:31 02:08:54 01:22:10 04:02:02
3. Sara Svensk SWE 00:29:18 02:09:32 01:21:22 04:05:17
4. Elena Danilova RUS 00:26:34 02:16:39 01:19:40 04:07:37
5. Cecilia Perez MEX 00:26:32 02:16:38 01:20:19 04:08:27