2021 Live Update: Race cancellations and postponements due to the COVID-19 pandemic
The latest updates on races affected by the pandemic
News for Sept. 11, 2021
Brazil events rescheduled – 2022 events have “limited or no inventory”
It is not getting any easier for Ironman as it works to organize races around the world. While things are off and rolling in the US and somewhat taking place in Europe, things have not been going well in Brazil. Here’s the latest update from the Ironman updates page:
After discussing event options with local health authorities in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in Brazil, we regret to share that our events in Brazil for the remainder of 2021 and into January 2022 are no longer able to take place. Below is a list of affected events and their new 2022 event dates:
- 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Rio de Janeiro (Oct. 3, 2021) rescheduled to June 19, 2022
- 2021 IRONMAN Brazil (Nov. 7, 2021) rescheduled to May 29, 2022
- 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Florianópolis (Nov. 7, 2021) rescheduled to April 24, 2022
- 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Maceió (Dec. 5, 2021) rescheduled to Aug. 7, 2022
- 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Fortaleza (Dec. 19, 2021) rescheduled to Nov. 6, 2022
- 2022 IRONMAN 70.3 São Paulo (Jan. 23, 2021) rescheduled to Sept. 11, 2022
All registered athletes should have now received an email with more information. If you are registered for a 2021 IRONMAN and / or an IRONMAN 70.3 triathlon in Brazil and have not received this e-mail or have additional questions, please contact email@example.com.
Due to the postponements of the 2021 events, the 2022 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 races in Brazil currently do have limited or no inventory. Any change and new registration opportunities will be communicated further if available.
Europe, Middle East and Africa events “postponed”
More from the Ironman update page:
- Ironman 70.3 Marrakech “cannot take place in 2021 and will now return in October 2022.”
- Ditto for Ironman Kazakhstan and Ironman 70.3 Astana which was to happen in August – they will return in 2022.
Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Macquarie “will not take place as planned”
The two races, which were scheduled for Sept. 5, 2021, weren’t able to take place due to “the extension to the lockdown in Greater Sydney.”