Who doesn’t like a yummy gift of homemade food? Here’s a menu that is sure to be a hit as the ultimate triathlete’s breakfast in bed.
These pancakes are light and fluffy prizewinners. Perfect for refuelling after a long swim, bike or run, too.
Ingredients (Yields six 6-inch pancakes)
- 1/2 cup uncooked oats (quick or old fashioned)
- 1/2 cup yogurt or milk and 1/2 tsp vinegar)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tbsp oil, preferably canola
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, as desired
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour, preferably half whole-wheat
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, yogurt and milk. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to let the oatmeal soften.
- When the oatmeal is through soaking, beat in the egg and oil; mix well. Add the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, then the baking powder and flour. Stir until just moistened.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle per pancake. Turn when the tops are covered with bubbles.
- Serve with syrup, applesauce, berries and/or yogurt.
Nutritional Information for 6 Pancakes
Calories: 1,000 (330 Cal/2 pancakes) / Carbohydrates: 57 g / Protein: 10 g / Fat: 7 g
From Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook, nancyclarkrd.com.