This DIY energy gel will give you a much needed quick blast when your legs start to feel like they’re running through Jell-O. The combination of glucose and fructose increases carb absorption rates during exercise and can lead to fewer digestive woes.
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3/4 cup boiled water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place dates and boiled water in a blender container and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until as smooth as possible.
- Let cool and then transfer to one large gel flask or two smaller ones. This can be made a day or two in advance if kept chilled.
- Divide into two servings for a workout, or suck back the whole thing if you need a big energy boost.
Nutritional Facts (per serving)
- Calories – 241
- Fat – 0g
- Carbohydrates – 63g
- Fibre – 4g
- Sodium – 295mg
- Protein – 1g