Is there anything better than ice cream on a hot summer day?
This recipe requires nothing but time and a little effort. No machine needed, And it’s dairy- and egg-free.
Did I mention this also tastes like a very famous coconut and chocolate bar? That’s right. It is like a bounty bar and ice cream all rolled into one oh-so dreamy dessert.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (the tetra packs won’t work here, you need the creamy topping)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine oil, coconut milk, almond milk, sugar, and vanilla.
- Bring to a low boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Don’t skip this step. Melting together the oil, cream and sugar is what makes this ice cream creamy, not grainy.
- Take off the heat and whisk in cocoa powder and salt.
- Let cool for 20 minutes and then place in a deep container.
- Place the container in the freezer and vigorously mix with a fork every 3o minutes for 2-3 hours. It’s worth it.
- Go to your happy place (and eat ice cream).