These pancakes are light and fluffy prizewinners. Perfect for refueling after a long swim, bike or run, too.
1/2 cup uncooked oats (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 cup yogurt (or milk + 1/2 tsp vinegar)
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
1 egg (or 2 egg whites), beaten
1 tablespoon oil, preferably canola
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, as desired
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flour, preferably half whole-wheat
1. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, yogurt and milk. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to let the oatmeal soften.
2. When the oatmeal is through soaking, beat in the egg and oil; mix well. Add the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, then the baking powder and flour. Stir until just moistened.
3. Heat a nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle per pancake. Turn when the tops are covered with bubbles.
5. Serve with syrup, applesauce, berries and/or yogurt.
Yield: Six 6-inch pancakes Total calories: 1,000
330 calories per 2 pancakes 57 g Carb, 10 g Pro, 7 g Fat
From Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook (www.nancyclarkrd.com).