— by Seanna Thomas
Just because summer has come to the end doesn’t mean you have to let go of all the seasonal produce our wonderful country has to offer. You can squeeze in a barbecue or have people over to sit outside for dinner, even though the kids are back to school and we’re back to the grind. This crumble recipe will keep you socializing with your guests and not stuck in the kitchen all night preparing dessert. Plus, the fresh flavours will keep your summer spirit high. Pick your favourite seasonal fruit – any combination will work.
Seasonal fruit has the best flavour and the most nutrition as it’s usually packaged the same day it’s picked from the farm. Go to your local farmers’ market the day you’re going to make this dessert for the freshest produce available.
4 cups of seasonal fruit (For example, a combination of peaches, nectarines and plums)
1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1⁄2 cup each: rolled oats, oat flour, ground pecans
1⁄4 cup ground flax seed
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together rolled oats, oat flour, ground pecans, flax seed, coconut oil and maple syrup. Set aside. Oat flour is just ground up oats.
- Place chopped fruit in a bowl.
- Add coconut sugar, arrowroot flour and salt. Toss.
- Add to baking dish.
- Top with oat mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and starting to brown
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- Calories – 216
- Fat – 9.7g
- Cholesterol – 0
- Sodium – 1mg
- Potassium – 187mg
- Carbohydrates – 32.5g
- Fibre – 3.7g
- Sugar – 22g
- Protein – 3g