— by Seanna Thomas
Having a brunch recipe you can make the night before, means you have more time to spend with your guests and less time in the kitchen. This recipe is a healthier version of many strata recipes because it uses whole grain bread, milk instead of cream and some delicious leafy greens. This strata will give you the energy to make it through your lazy weekend morning.
Ingredients (Serves 8-12)
- 1 wholegrain loaf of bread, unsliced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups wilted
- spinach (or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and dice onion and sauté in oil until nicely browned. Set aside.
- Slice bread into nice big cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible and scatter into the bowl.
- Sprinkle feta into the bowl. Add onions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs with milk and add salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over bread and mix well.
- Place into a greased 9 x 13 pan and cover. Place in fridge overnight.
In the Morning
- Preheat oven to 350 F and take strata out of the fridge to bring to room temperature.
- Place strata in the oven uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes and serve.
Tastes great hot or at room temperature, making this the perfect brunch dish.
Change it up
Add fresh or sundried tomatoes, caramelized leeks or mushrooms, olives or meat such as ham or bacon.
Seanna Thomas is a nutritionist from Toronto who runs nutrionnaire.com.