Add a little green to your chicken
— by Melanie McQuaid
This riff on a pesto recipe is a great way to use up any extra green herbs you have in the fridge or garden. I use a mix of lovage, parsley and basil to make this version, but you can combine any or all of parsley, cilantro basil, Italian parsley and lovage to make a flavourful, green base for the recipe.
Ingredients – Green Chicken
- 2-4 Ib. of boneless chicken
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
Ingredients – Marinade
- 1 1/2 cups herb leaves of choice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup of oil (use any of olive, grapeseed or canola, but for BBQ it is best to use grapeseed)
- 1/3 soy sauce (or to taste)
- 2 Thai red chilies split in half (optional, but kicks up the heat a little)
- 1 lime (zested or juiced)
- For the marinade, put the herbs, garlic, ginger, olive oil and soy sauce into a food processor and puree. Add the chilies to the puree sliced in half (too much chili blended in can make this too hot – leaving the half chilies will add just enough spice) and pour over the chicken. MArinate for at least four hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Pour the chicken with the marinade into a dish and roast or grill at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until fully cooked. Let rest for 10 minutes so that it will reabsorb the juices before slicing. Spring slices with lime juice and zest and serve.
Nutrition Facts (Servings 4)
Calories 453 / Fat 31.5g / Cholesterol 97mg / Sodium 1333mg / Potassium 413mg / Carbohydrates 4.7g / Protein 38.3g / Vitamin A 8% / Vitamin C 7% / Calcium 3% / Iron 13%