Vancouver Half Iron Triathlon Results
Curry and McBride win.
Chilliwack’s Scott Curry and Vancouver’s Rachel McBride took wins at the Vancouver Half Iron Triathlon today.
Curry exited the 1.9 km swim in second (24:17) behind Vancouver’s Elliot Holtham (24:12) but soon grabbed the race lead with the top bike split of the day (2:18:51). By the time Curry left T2, he held a 2:25 lead over Anthony Toth (also of Chilliwack) who also passed Holtham during the 91 km ride. Toth ran a 1:15:07 half marathon in his pursuit of Curry but it wasn’t enough since Curry ran 1:16:31 to stay ahead to win the title (4:02:09). Toth held on for second (4:03:08) while Holtham ran a race best 1:14:34 to secure third (4:04:21).
“I had a good race, and was happy with how things played out. I entered the race with no expectations of winning, rather I just wanted to test my body, and see if I could put in a solid effort. It was fun however to win it, it’s always a thrill to be a race leader, said Curry. “The race venue was the real highlight however, being able to ride up and down South Marine Drive, through the beautiful UBC campus on a closed course can’t be beat. After this successful test, I’m eager and ready to get back to working toward preparing for Ironman Canada.”
McBride raced from the front all day and padded her lead with each segment. She posted a time of 26:20 for the swim, 2:29:29 for the bike, and 1:20:06 for the run to take the win with relative ease (4:18:22). Victoria’s Sara Gross ran well to claim second (4:29:02), and Vancouver’s Rachel Kiers finished third (4:31:09).
1. Scott Curry Chilliwack, BC 4:02:09
2. Anthony Toth Chilliwack, BC 4:03:08
3. Elliot Holtham Vancouver, BC 4:04:21
4. Nathan Killam Surrey, BC 4:06:13
5. Eddie Smith Vancouver, BC 4:17:39 *M30-34
1. Rachel McBride Vancouver, BC 4:18:22
2. Sara Gross Victoria, BC 4:29:02
3. Rachel Kiers Vancouver, BC 4:31:09
4. Gillian Clayton Vancouver, BC 4:38:39 *W30-34
5. Carolyn Hubbard North Vancouver, BC 4:47:58 *W40-44