Earlier today, Toronto’s Mikael Staer Nathan and Miranda Tomenson reclaimed the Toronto Island Triathlon titles they last won on August 25, 2013.
The men’s race started with a three way battle between Michael Staer Nathan, Andrew Bolton, and Liam Donnelly, who all exited T1 together. Staer Nathan and Bolton shook free of Donnelly with Staer Nathan riding 29:28 to reach T2 one second ahead of Bolton. Staer Nathan then used a 16:31 final 5km run to stay ahead of Bolton for the 59:02 victory. Donnelly held onto his position with a race best 16:22 run for third.
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Mikael Staer Nathan (Toronto, ON) 59:02
2. Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 59:30
3. Liam Donnelly (Campbellville, ON) 1:00:55
4. Adam Doxtator (Frankford, ON) 1:01:05
5. Lee Rantala (Toronto, ON) 1:01:39
On the road to recovery back from knee surgery, Miranda Tomenson posted the top ride (31:41) and run (19:40) to take her second Toronto Island title in a comfortable 1:05:37. While Simcoe’s Emma Plater outran (20:03) Mississauga’s Laura Heinken to take second.
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Miranda Tomenson (Toronto, ON) 1:11:25
2. Emma Plater (Simcoe, ON) 1:13:01
3. Lauren Heinken (Mississauga, ON) 1:14:21
4. Phaedra Kennedy (Toronto, ON) 1:14:54
5. Tedra Bolger (Waterdown, ON) 1:15:26
The Sprint Duathlon showcased dominant performances from Brampton’s Jade Carrington and Toronto’s Brendan Howard.
Carrington won her third Toronto Island title in a row by running and riding the fastest times of the day in the women’s race. She ran 20:48, rode 34:49, and ran 12:54.
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Jade Carrington (Brampton, ON) 1:10:51
2. Christine Richardson (Mississauga, ON) 1:17:24
3. Laura Delorey (Barrie, ON) 1:18:38
4. Trish McAlaster (Amherstburg, ON) 1:18:47
5. MacKenzi Newman (Oakville, ON) 1:18:49
Howard opened with a race best 17:48 run, added a top ride of 30:34, and kept pushing forth for another race best run of 10:38 to win by 3 minutes over Mississauga’s Garvin Moses who repeated his second place placing from the previous year.
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Brendan Howard (Toronto, ON) 1:00:35
2. Garvin Moses (Mississauga, ON) 1:03:36
3. Steve Beasley (Goderich, ON) 1:06:30
4. Eric Gareau (London, ON) 1:10:13
5. Andrew Guy (Toronto, ON) 1:11:56