Toronto Island titles for Staer Nathan and Tomenson
Earlier today, Toronto’s Mikael Staer Nathan and Miranda Tomenson reclaimed the Toronto Island Triathlon titles they last won on August 25, 2013.
The men’s race started with a three way battle between Michael Staer Nathan, Andrew Bolton, and Liam Donnelly, who all exited T1 together. Staer Nathan and Bolton shook free of Donnelly with Staer Nathan riding 29:28 to reach T2 one second ahead of Bolton. Staer Nathan then used a 16:31 final 5km run to stay ahead of Bolton for the 59:02 victory. Donnelly held onto his position with a race best 16:22 run for third.
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Mikael Staer Nathan (Toronto, ON) 59:02
2. Andrew Bolton (Richmond Hill, ON) 59:30
3. Liam Donnelly (Campbellville, ON) 1:00:55
4. Adam Doxtator (Frankford, ON) 1:01:05
5. Lee Rantala (Toronto, ON) 1:01:39
On the road to recovery back from knee surgery, Miranda Tomenson posted the top ride (31:41) and run (19:40) to take her second Toronto Island title in a comfortable 1:05:37. While Simcoe’s Emma Plater outran (20:03) Mississauga’s Laura Heinken to take second.
Toronto Island Sprint Triathlon (750m Swim – 20km Bike – 5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Miranda Tomenson (Toronto, ON) 1:11:25
2. Emma Plater (Simcoe, ON) 1:13:01
3. Lauren Heinken (Mississauga, ON) 1:14:21
4. Phaedra Kennedy (Toronto, ON) 1:14:54
5. Tedra Bolger (Waterdown, ON) 1:15:26
The Sprint Duathlon showcased dominant performances from Brampton’s Jade Carrington and Toronto’s Brendan Howard.
Carrington won her third Toronto Island title in a row by running and riding the fastest times of the day in the women’s race. She ran 20:48, rode 34:49, and ran 12:54.
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Women
1. Jade Carrington (Brampton, ON) 1:10:51
2. Christine Richardson (Mississauga, ON) 1:17:24
3. Laura Delorey (Barrie, ON) 1:18:38
4. Trish McAlaster (Amherstburg, ON) 1:18:47
5. MacKenzi Newman (Oakville, ON) 1:18:49
Howard opened with a race best 17:48 run, added a top ride of 30:34, and kept pushing forth for another race best run of 10:38 to win by 3 minutes over Mississauga’s Garvin Moses who repeated his second place placing from the previous year.
Toronto Island Sprint Duathlon (5km Run – 20km Bike – 2.5km Run) – Top 5 Men
1. Brendan Howard (Toronto, ON) 1:00:35
2. Garvin Moses (Mississauga, ON) 1:03:36
3. Steve Beasley (Goderich, ON) 1:06:30
4. Eric Gareau (London, ON) 1:10:13
5. Andrew Guy (Toronto, ON) 1:11:56