Samuels and Riveros end up tied
A rare triathlon dead heat.
Today, at a sprint triathlon in Takapuna, New Zealand, New Zealand’s Nicky Samuels and Chile’s Barbara Riveros crossed the finish line at the exact same time.
Samuels led after the 500 m swim, and 16 km bike, but Riveros made up the 46 second gap during the 4.2 km run to catch Samuels at the line.
The timing data indicated that both had the same finish time of 49:23, and race officials were still unable to break the tie after going over multiple camera angles.
1. Nicky Samuels (Wanaka, NZL) and Barbara Riveros (Chile) 49:23
3. Debbie Tanner (Auckland, NZL) 49:47
1. Ryan Sissons (Auckland, NZL) 45:02
2. Edward Rawles (Taranaki, NZL) 45:46
3. Mike Phillips (Christchurch, NZL) 46:00
Read more about this story at the New Zealand Herald.