Results from Ironman 70.3 Auckland
Christian Kemp and Annabel Luxford top the podium.
The Australian pair of Christian Kemp and Annabel Luxford took home victories today at the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Auckland.
Kemp trailed out of the water with a 24:20 swim (13th), moved within striking distance of the bike leaders with a 2:10:46 ride. A number of lead changes occurred during the run but when it was all said and done Kemp outran (1:19:41), New Zealand’s Bevan Docherty and Clark Ellice for the victory (3:56:02) and the Asia-Pacific Championship. Docherty took second (3:56:36), and Ellice third (3:58:23).
Luxford on the other hand, dominated the women’s race. She led the swim (25:49), created some more separation between her and her closest chaser (Switzerland’s Caroline Steffen) with a 2:22:14 ride, and she clinched the win with a 1:29:47 run to cross the finish line in 4:19:18. Steffen secured the runner-up position (4:25:15), and American Meredith Kessler claimed third (4:29:24).
|1. Christian Kemp (Australia) 3:56:02
2. Bevan Docherty (New Zealand) 3:56:36
3. Clark Ellice (New Zealand) 3:58:23
4. Paul Ambrose (UK) 3:59:26
5. James Hodge (Australia) 4:00:55
|1. Annabel Luxford (Australia) 4:19:18
2. Caroline Steffen (Switzerland) 4:25:15
3. Meredith Kessler (USA) 4:29:24
4. Sarah Crowley (Australia) 4:32:04
5. Anna Ross (New Zealand) 4:34:25