More than 2,300 athletes in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i on October 10 for the 2015 Ironman World Championship presented by GoPro. Representing 62 countries and territories on six continents, a diverse group of global athletes will compete in the 37th year of the annual Ironman World Championship. With triathletes ranging in age from 19 to 85 having qualified to compete in the World Championship, the average age of 2015 age groupers is 43.2, well above the average age of professional triathletes at 33.7. The overall average age is 42.8.
Australia has 250 athletes competing, second only to the United States with 768. Following Australia is Germany (175), Great Britain (148), Canada (114) and Brazil (98). Countries including Portugal, Singapore, Norway, Estonia and Brazil experienced the largest percent growth in athlete representation since 2014.
Additional historical facts and stats on the field competing this year in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i:
- 72% of participants (1,717 athletes) are male
- 28% of participants (664 athletes) are female, marking the largest female field in history at the Ironman World Championship
- With 664 female participants, there is a more than a 6% increase in female participants from last year
- This will be the largest athlete field ever at the Ironman World Championship
- 99 race participants (57 males, 42 females), or 4% of the total field, are professional athletes
- Australia’s Mirinda Carfrae is vying to claim her third consecutive Ironman World Championship victory, a feat last accomplished by Chrissie Wellington of Great Britain in 2009
- After losing the men’s title to Europe in 2014, Australia is out to reassert its dominance in the men’s field with six Ironman World Championship victories in the past eight years
- More than 5,000 volunteers will help make Kona a success
- More than 204,000 registered athletes representing nearly 200 countries and territories competed in Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races this year
- 25 new Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races were established in 2015
The 2015 Ironman World Championship presented by GoPro can be viewed live exclusively on ironman.com. Comprehensive coverage will capture every aspect of the race and feature a hosted show, athlete tracker and live blog.
from press release