Switzerland’s Daniela Ryf sprinted to victory today (2:00:59) at the Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Seoul in Korea, ahead of world number one Barbara Riveros Diaz (CHI) and reigning world champion Emma Moffatt (AUS).
Moffatt looked to have the race won until the final two kilometres, when she was caught by the chase pack, making for a thrilling sprint finish with Ryf coming out on top.
“I was really suffering toward the end,” Ryf said to the ITU Media. “I’m so surprised I was able to pull it out. I just tried to focus on my technique to keep it together at the end.”
With her second podium finish of the 2010 Series, Riveros Diaz remains in the lead of the 2010 Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series rankings.
“My goal is to be consistent this year, so I’m very happy with my result today,” Riveros Diaz said. “I just have to keep working hard and remember that it’s a year-long process.”
Elite Women Top Ten
1. Daniela Ryf (SUI) 2:00:59
2. Barbara Riveros Diaz (CHI) 2:01:02
3. Emma Moffatt (AUS) 2:01:04
4. Nicola Spirig (SUI) 2:01:05
5. Andrea Hewitt (NZL) 2:01:06
6. Emma Snowsill (AUS) 2:01:10
7. Mariko Adachi (JPN) 2:01:16
8. Jessica Harrison (FRA) 2:01:31
9. Helen Jenkins (GBR) 2:01:44
10. Sarah Haskins (USA) 2:02:02
Full results are here.