Brent McMahon wins the Saskatoon Triathlon Pro Chase
Magali Tisseyre surrenders the lead with less than 1 km to go.
As expected, Victoria’s Brent McMahon and Magali Tisseyre battled for top spot today at the inaugural Saskatoon Triathlon Pro Chase.
With the pro women receiving a 12:30 head start, McMahon and the rest of the pro men would have to be at the top of their game to catch the pro women.
After finishing the 1.5 km Pike Lake swim in 22:00, and the 35 km bike to downtown Saskatoon in 53:45, Tisseyre left T2 with a 4:11 lead over the Canmore based Karen Thibodeau, and a 5:30 gap over McMahon.
McMahon pushed hard right from the moment he left T2 and at the end of the first 5 km lap, he trailed Tisseyre by just 2:40. He continued the charge and with approximately 1 km to go, and within sight of the finish line just across the South Saskatchewan River, McMahon passed Tisseyre to take the Pro Chase victory. Never giving up for one second, Tisseyre continued to hammer hard finished just 14 seconds later in the runner up position. Penticton’s Jeff Symonds completed the top three with a stellar run of his own.
Saskatoon Triathlon Pro Chase Results (in the order they crossed the finish line)
1. Brent McMahon Victoria, BC, CAN 1:43:29 – 19:07, 49:40, 32:56
2. Magali Tisseyre Victoria, BC, CAN 1:56:13 – 22:00, 53:45, 38:36 +14 seconds
3. Jeff Symonds Penticton, BC, CAN 1:45:51 +2:22
4. Andrew Russell Sidney, BC, CAN 1:46:52 – 20:34, 50:07, 34:19 +3:23
5. Karen Thibodeau Victoria, BC, CAN 2:01:53 – 21:49, 56:54, 40:35 +5:54
6. Sara Gross Victoria, BC, CAN 2:03:56 – 22:44, 58:43, 40:22
7. James Cook Victoria, BC, CAN 1:58:20 – 23:14, 54:29, 38:41
8. Abby Miller Saskatoon, SK, CAN 2:15:58 – 22:42, 1:05:29, 45:43
The Saskatoon event served as the Provincial Championships for the age group competitors, with 26 qualifying spots for the Age Group National Team competing at the World Championships next year in Edmonton. Check out their results below.
Olympic Overall Male Champion: Tim Pierce – Saskatoon – 1:58:35
Olympic Overall Female Champion: Emanuela Bandol – Regina – 2:13:33
Sprint Overall Male Champion: Shawn Wilyman – Regina – 1:27:30
Sprint Overall Female Champion: Jackie Hatherly – Regina – 1:32:24
Make sure to visit Tourism Saskatoon to find out more about this great city.