First look: Asics Runners Face Cover
New face cover allows runners to breathe comfortably while preventing the spread of dropletsPhoto by: Kevin Mackinnon
While it’s important to remember that face coverings won’t protect you from getting COVID-19, they do reduce the risk of transmission when physical distancing and keeping two-metres’ distance from others may be challenging or not possible. But the World Health Organization (WHO) says that people shouldn’t wear masks while exercising because “masks may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably.” With that in mind, the WHO recommends that “the important preventative measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others.”
The doctors at WHO might have to modify that directive once they get a look at the Asics Runners Face Cover that arrived on my doorstep this morning. While I haven’t had a chance to run in it yet, it sure seems like the perfect answer for those who are concerned that they might not be able to physically distance during a run or workout.
Realizing that traditional masks aren’t great to exercise in, the crew at the Asics Institute of Sport Science designed the new Runners Face Mask with “performance, comfort and protection” in mind. Features include:
- Quick-drying, washable fabric
- The “cutting-edge” material used in the mask is designed to “cool the air flowing into the mouth, improving breathability and comfort.” The Runners Face Cover is made with 31 per cent recycled materials.
- Strategically placed air vents
- The vents are placed to provide “unobstructed airflow while preventing the spread of droplets.”
- Interior Space
- “The unique curved structure creates more room inside the face cover to allow for easier breathing when running.”
- Comfort Fit
- The Runners Face Cover is “specifically designed to accommodate a wide range of faces with an adjustable cord to ensure fit – helping prevent fog build-up when wearing glasses
Adjusting the Runners Face Cover for comfortable, snug fit is a breeze thanks to the pull tab on the cord. The mask has ear loops that you can tighten accordingly, too.
While Asics has obviously geared this product towards runners, I can also see it being a popular option for those looking for a comfortable mask for indoor training use, as well.
The Asics Runners Face Cover will be available in mid- to late-September and will retail for $60.