Lowe and Joyce win the fifth Ironman 70.3 MuskokaSeptember 10, 2012By Roger Hospedales
American Brandon Marsh and Canadian Tenille Hoogland led the men’s and women’s fields out of Peninsula Lake. With his 24:41 swim, Marsh only held a few seconds lead over Cameron Good (AUS) and Vancouver’s Andrew Russell. Hoogland on the other hand was 54 seconds ahead of Denmark’s Michelle Vesterby with her 26:30 swim.
Four minutes down after the swim, Great Britain’s Tom Lowe powered through the 94 km bike to enter T2 with a 3:42 lead over Russell. Meanwhile, Hoogland engaged in an upfront bike battle with Vesterby and Rachel Joyce of Great Britain. At the end of the ride she entered T2 with a 3 second lead over Joyce and 36 seconds over Vesterby.
On the half marathon, Russell put up a good fight and chewed into Lowe’s lead but he could not catch him. Lowe took the overall win in 4:08:54, followed by Russell (4:11:00, and Good (4:11:33). For the women, Joyce simply ran away from everyone for the easy win (4:34:47). Hoogland secured second (4:44:10), and Vesterby finished third (4:48:10).
Top 8 Pro Men
1. Lowe, Tom GBR 4:08:54
2. Russell, Andrew CAN 4:11:00
3. Good, Cameron AUS 4:11:33
4. Marsh, Brandon USA 4:15:04
5. Bechtel, Sean CAN 4:26:33
6. Linseman, Mark CAN 4:28:03
7. Baucco, AJ USA 4:28:25
8. Lamontagne Lacasse, Martin CAN 4:40:46
Top 10 Pro Women
1. Joyce, Rachel GBR 4:34:47
2. Hoogland, Tenille CAN 4:44:10
3. Vesterby, Michelle DNK 4:48:10
4. Widney, Chantell CAN 4:52:37
5. Fletcher, Christine CAN 4:55:55
6. Gervais, Annie CAN 4:56:58
7. Hansen, Jennie USA 4:58:11
8. Tomenson-Bharadwaj, Miranda CAN 4:58:28
9. Rollinson, Ayesha CAN 5:01:46
10. Fletcher, Jenny CAN 5:02:16